Hello, fellow BotB-ers. I apologize, once again for my absence in the battles. I was having a really tough go of things before the pandemic hit, then the pandemic hit and it was all well and truly more than I could handle. I took a month off from work, thinking that would give me the time and incentive to both take care of myself AND be more productive. And it did, and I was, but unfortunately the blog fell by the wayside while I tackled my home and indulged in way too much tv. It was what I needed at the time. I’m still not 100%, or maybe not even 90%, but I’m getting there.
For any of you who may be here who don’t participate in BotB…
What is a Battle of the Bands, you ask? It’s kind of like “Who Wore It Better?”, but for songs. Every month on the 1st and the 15th, Stephen hosts the battles on his blog, where participants choose two different versions of the same song, commenters listen to each song, and choose which one they like better via comment. On the 7th and 21st, votes are tallied and a winner declared. In the event of a tie, I will cast my own vote to break the tie. There are no hard and fast rules, so sometimes these battles go down with a twist or two.
Here is how I like to do things: I usually (but not always) choose two COVERS of the same song. I personally don’t like pitting a cover against an original, because that’s generally asking for trouble, but sometimes I will.
Here is what I ask of you:
- Listen to the two songs, or enough of the songs to get a feel for how they sound and whether or not you like them.
- Decide which one you like the most, or dislike the least, as my battles sometimes go. I am well aware that my song selections sometimes leave people just voting for the tune they hate the least. I am okay with that; it’s just part of my charm.
- Vote for your favorite, or the one you disliked the least, in the comments. Feel free to tell my why you voted the way you did. Or don’t. The vote counts either way, but it’s always fun to see what people liked and didn’t about specific songs.
- Head to the Battle of the Bands blog to visit some other participants if you are so inclined.
- Come back on the 8th and the 22nd to see if your favorite song won!
The song I’ve chosen for this battle is The Cure – “Love Song”
The first version is from Corey Taylor of Slipknot, who has a surprisingly good voice. Or maybe not surprising if you’re familiar with his other band, Stone Sour, where he does more melodic singing. This is a well-produced live acoustic version (CAUTION: PROFANITY! You can fast forward the video to exactly the one minute mark to skip the profanity and intro talk.):
The next version is a smooth, rock-reggae-styled cover from 311. This version was featured in the movie 50 First Dates.
Which cover of The Cure’s “Love Song” did you like best? Be sure to vote for your favorite version in the comments, then come back on the 22nd to see how your favorite did!