Battle of the Bands for 05.15.2020

Hello, fellow BotB-ers. I apologize, once again for my absence in the battles. I was having a really tough go of things before the pandemic hit, then the pandemic hit and it was all well and truly more than I could handle. I took a month off from work, thinking that would give me the time and incentive to both take care of myself AND be more productive. And it did, and I was, but unfortunately the blog fell by the wayside while I tackled my home and indulged in way too much tv. It was what I needed at the time. I’m still not 100%, or maybe not even 90%, but I’m getting there.

For any of you who may be here who don’t participate in BotB…

What is a Battle of the Bands, you ask? It’s kind of like “Who Wore It Better?”, but for songs. Every month on the 1st and the 15th, Stephen hosts the battles on his blog, where participants choose two different versions of the same song, commenters listen to each song, and choose which one they like better via comment. On the 7th and 21st, votes are tallied and a winner declared. In the event of a tie, I will cast my own vote to break the tie. There are no hard and fast rules, so sometimes these battles go down with a twist or two.

Here is how I like to do things: I usually (but not always) choose two COVERS of the same song. I personally don’t like pitting a cover against an original, because that’s generally asking for trouble, but sometimes I will.

Here is what I ask of you:

• Listen to the two songs, or enough of the songs to get a feel for how they sound and whether or not you like them.
  • Decide which one you like the most, or dislike the least, as my battles sometimes go. I am well aware that my song selections sometimes leave people just voting for the tune they hate the least. I am okay with that; it’s just part of my charm.
  • Vote for your favorite, or the one you disliked the least, in the comments. Feel free to tell my why you voted the way you did. Or don’t. The vote counts either way, but it’s always fun to see what people liked and didn’t about specific songs.
  • Head to the Battle of the Bands blog to visit some other participants if you are so inclined.
  • Come back on the 8th and the 22nd to see if your favorite song won!

The song I’ve chosen for this battle is The Cure – “Love Song”

The first version is from Corey Taylor of Slipknot, who has a surprisingly good voice. Or maybe not surprising if you’re familiar with his other band, Stone Sour, where he does more melodic singing. This is a well-produced live acoustic version (CAUTION: PROFANITY! You can fast forward the video to exactly the one minute mark to skip the profanity and intro talk.):

The next version is a smooth, rock-reggae-styled cover from 311. This version was featured in the movie 50 First Dates.

Which cover of The Cure’s “Love Song” did you like best? Be sure to vote for your favorite version in the comments, then come back on the 22nd to see how your favorite did!

1. Arlee Bird says:

I can understand you deciding to take off for a while and not getting as much done as you thought you might. I am in the latter camp and seriously considering the blog break for summer. For now I’m trying to hang in.

I like this song and actually have had it in my some day queue for a few years. I will probably still use it someday as my picks were different from yours.

I was turned off by the intro of the first version and not particularly impressed by the music. I much prefer the cleaner slicked up production of 311. Give my vote to them.

Good to see you back.

Arlee Bird
    Tossing It Out

I totally get you on taking a break over the summer. I hope I won’t be doing that myself, as I’ve had a lot of breaks for the past two years, but you’ve been blogging regularly for a long time and are due a break if you feel like taking one. Mine usually aren’t intentional, but with social media being easier to interact with people, my blog just hasn’t been a priority. I hate that, but blogging is pretty much a dying art these days.

I got your vote for 311! I figured the profanity at the beginning of the Corey Taylor vid would turn some people off, so I’m not surprised that it has. Thank you for voting!

311 – 1
      Corey Taylor – 0

Welcome back! I kept wondering “Hey, did I check Kim’s battle?” and I’d come over here and see that didn’t have one and were gone.

I’m with Arlee: I got tired of listening to the guy in the first video before he even started singing. Give my vote to 311.

Thanks for thinking of me! I really meant to keep up with at least my battles during the month I was off, but was off-kilter and couldn’t find the discipline needed to even make a battle post. It was weirdness on top of the stress and I just couldn’t really think much, so opted to tackle physical necessities.

I got your vote for 311! I think I’m going to edit my post and find where the profanity ends and the song starts so people can just listen to the song without having to hear the language or listen to the talking before the song. I know time is important in these battles because we all have other songs to go listen to!

311 – 2
      Corey Taylor – 0

3. Birgit says:

Once I got by the dumb talk of the first dude and he started singing, I really liked it. Too bad you can’t somehow, get rid of him talking because he has a great voice and I much prefer him over the second one. I think if Corey shut his mouth, he would get more votes…hahahaa. I vote for F Bomb CoreyTaylor

Thank you for your vote, Brigit! The profanity doesn’t bother me at all, so I wasn’t really thinking about it when I posted. What I am going to do is edit my post to let people know at which time in the video the song actually starts – that way, they can move the video up to that point and just listen to the song.

311 – 2
      Corey Taylor – 1

4. Stephen T. McCarthy says:

Howdy, KIM ~

Nice to have you back with us again… again. [;^D

I only BOTB on the first of each month, but I still vote on everyone’s Battles of the fifteenth. And thus, here I am!

I didn’t count it against Mr. Millennial that he wasn’t able to say more than two sentences without dropping an F-bomb. That’s just the way it is with that generation (America’s finest!, I might add – no sarcasym included). Ha!-Ha!

Sometimes I really just can’t he’p muhse’f.

In all honestly, I much preferred the livelier second version by 311.
    I had never heard this song before, but that was pretty good.

I hope you have yourself a merry little weekend, Kim!

~ D-FensDogG
    STMcC Presents BATTLE OF THE BANDS

Thank you for coming by to vote; I sure appreciate it! I am ahead of the game a bit, at least as far as battles go – I have a few set up for later dates.

Corey Taylor is actually a Gen X-er (and a grandfather, if you can believe that!), but yeah, he can drop some F-bombs! I edited the post to add the time where the song starts so you don’t spend as much time listening to the talking or the profanity, though I didn’t think about that when I first added the song, just the caution. Profanity doesn’t bother me much, at least in live music, so I didn’t think about doing that in the first place.

311 – 3
      Corey Taylor – 1

Thanks for stopping by today wishing me a belated HMD. I had a nice day, too. I’m taking a hiatus except for Mondays for at least this month. Right now, I’m not sure how I’ll handle the rest of the summer. I think I just need to take it easy. This is a good time to do it with Internet traffic generally sluggish over summer but who knows how the pandemic will affect it. As you know I didn’t have a battle up but I will return on the 1st. Both of the June battles fall on a Monday so that’s gonna to work beautifully with my schedule. 🙂

I’m giving my vote to 311! Their cover had me right from the start! Have a good weekend, my dear! xx

I hear you. Taking it easy sounds great, especially with regards to the internet. I figured more people would be home dusting off their blogs during this hiatus, but I guess that didn’t work out for a lot of people! You’re due a break!

I can’t wait to see what you come up with on Mondays, and with the Battles!

I got your vote for 311!

311 – 4
      Corey Taylor – 1

6. Mary B says:

well, my favorite artist drops the F bomb left and right and he’s in his early 50s. We older peeps can curse with the best of ’em!

I actually like both versions, but Corey’s spoke just a little bit more to my soul. He get’s my F’in vote!

~Mary
    ps Glad to see you back! I’ve cut my battles to just the 1st for now.

7. Kim says:

Psstttt….I sometimes drop more F bombs than Corey Taylor! Honestly, it doesn’t bother me. And I’ve seen it so much over the years with the live shows I attend, it’s just not even a little bit out of the ordinary.

I’ll record your F’in vote for Corey!

311 – 4
    Corey Taylor – 2

8. Mike says:

Corey curses. It is Rock and Roll. I mean Coverdale, Dave Grohl and others have dropped a few F bombs. However, it is about the music and I liked his version better.

Thanks for coming by to vote! Yep, the cursing happens in rock and roll. Is it necessary? Nah. But also not at all a big deal. I got your vote for Corey, and will be making my winning announcement post later this evening!

311 – 4