I lied, and BotB results.

Sorry I never made it back over here with a Music Monday post. More estate stuff cropped up the has me nearly crippled with anxiety and so frustrated I feel like I could snap at any moment and be Michael Douglas in Falling Down. (Fun fact: I was living near Lynwood, CA at the time this was being filmed. Of course, I knew nothing about it, but it’s still a fun fact. Right?) Maybe I’ll get a chance to write about this later. This isn’t the post for it, but I absolutely must purge it all, and soon. I feel ill, and it should be illegal to make families jump through so many damned hoops just to get what is actually theirs. I’ll just leave that there, and maybe pick it up when I’ve had a minute to calm down.

So, my return to the Battle of the Bands was so much fun! I chose covers of Creedence Clearwater Revival’s “Bad Moon Rising” by The Killers and Ann Wilson featuring Gretchen Wilson. They were completely different than one another, with The Killers having a sound more similar to CCR than Ann and Gretchen’s bluegrass-y version. I almost had to step in as a tie-breaker, but in the end, The Killers took it by ONE VOTE. One vote; that’s all! And those are the best battles, IMO. I really had no idea which way this one was going to go.

Thanks so much to all who stopped by, listened, voted, and welcomed me back! I haven’t decided yet if I’ll be doing battles both times of the month, but I’m definitely going to come back on February 1 to see how that goes.

1. Debbie D. says:

Close battles are the best! 🙂 It sounds like you’re having a rough time. I went through all those stressors several years ago. Let me say, it will all get resolved eventually, and your anxiety will diminish.

Oh, good. I am coming up on the one year mark. My aunt died suddenly, without a will. It’s been a nightmarish experience dealing with the business end of things, but I think I’ve done a decent job of winging it. Thank you for your encouraging words!

That’s exactly it. Red tape. When I took on this responsibility, I had NO IDEA how much I was taking on, and how difficult it was going to be to get things done. Thank you for stopping by and listening to me vent!

2. Arlee Bird says:

Excellent Battle result to come back to. I’ve seen all close outcomes so far including my own. Hope you’ll do Battles twice a month like a few of us do, but at least one a month is good.

I love the movie Falling Down! It hadn’t occurred to me until your mention of your experience that I was living in Downey (not far at all from Lynwood) at the time. I could well relate to that film especially since I was going through my own marital break-up difficulties at the time. Fortunately I didn’t have much of any commute since I also worked in Downey.
    I’ve moved to Pico Rivera since then and have lived here for the past 22 years. Not a bad place to live actually despite having to contend with the crappy California government.

See you next Battle on February 1st!

Arlee Bird
    Tossing It Out

Downey sounds familiar! I was in Barstow, then after about a year we got moved to post housing out at Fort Irwin. Such a beautiful place! And, after looking it up, I see that it was LENWOOD that I was close to, not Lynwood. But…I was only two hours or so from Lynwood. How confusing!

• Arlee Bird says:

Yeah, Lenwood would be a big difference by a couple hours and a hundred miles away. My wife and I were driving around Barstow and across the high desert a few weeks ago. Since it was cooler it was a good time to go there. We plan to explore more of that area in the future. Just trying to get around now that we’re both retired.

Arlee Bird
        Tossing It Out

• Kim @ Storms and Stardust says:

i hope y’all get a chance to go out there more. I am sure Barstow has changed by leaps and bounds since I last lived there (most places have), but Death Valley itself was beautiful. And also desolate. But mostly beautiful.

I hope all my battles do me this well! I agree, that was a dark, dark movie. I’m not in the middle of the situations D-Fens was in, but I sure see how someone can snap with too much on their plate.

3. Stephen T. McCarthy says:

Good luck with your hoop-jumping, KIM! Sorry to hear about all the anxiety. But you sure came back with a terrific Battle. This BOTB round produced so many tight races that it may have been the most competitive ever!

Also, I love and own ‘FALLING DOWN’. It’s definitely one of my all-time Top 25 favorite movies.

See ya in the next BOTB round of February 1st.

~ D-FensDogG
    STMcC Presents BATTLE OF THE BANDS

It’s a great movie! I’m not getting divorced and hopefully not losing my job anytime soon, but I can sure see how more and more and more going wrong can make someone snap. I hate for anyone to be that burdened, but I hope it’s not ever me!

See you on the first!