It’s all in a name…and #RMF2019 for 10.17.2019

Today for Mama Kat’s Pretty Much World Famous Writer’s Workshop, the theme I chose was “The first name you were almost given before your parents decided on the one you have.”

My featured photo is one of the images that popped up during a Pixabay search for one of the (first) names my parents were considering before settling on the one they gave me. That name was Gabby, to be short for Gabrielle. Gabby would have been a really good fit for me, since I always loved to talk a lot – at least for the first half of my life.

But Gabby was not meant to be, and neither was another name they were considering: Penny, to be short for Penelope. If we’re being totally honest, I really wish they would have given me this one. I love the name Penelope, and Penny would have been an amazing fit, as when I was younger (and through a good portion of my young adult life), my hair was the color of a brand-new shiny penny. The copper weathervane may have been what popped up for Gabby, but the fact that it was copper was not lost on me.

In case you’re wondering, my hair didn’t turn gray when I got older, it just dulled down to a really mousy brown. And that’s why I bottle it now, but I’ve sadly never been able to recreate the color. Still, I consider myself a natural redhead, and always will.

What were YOU almost named before your parents settled on the name you have now?

And speaking of redheads, my two song selections for today for Rocktober Music Fest over at Jingle Jangle Jungle are about redheads!

First up is “Fell In Love With A Girl” by the The White Stripes.

And next is a cover of Neil Young’s “Cinnamon Girl” by a band I’d normally be going to see around this time of year, Type O Negative. People tend to either hate this cover or love it, but I think it’s absolutely amazing.

After all these years, I still can’t believe Peter Steele is gone. I met so many great friends through this band and had so much fun at their shows, and I can’t even put into words how much I miss it all.

Featured image courtesy Kapa65 on Pixabay

I talk about my name saga here: https://thesoundofonehandtyping.com/2018/10/11/writers-workshop-whats-in-a-name/

I come from a family of redheads, and the girls (cousins on my Dad’s side) all dyed their hair blonde when they started to go gray. I worked with several redheaded women, and they all started coloring their hair to cover the gray. I guess by those standards your hair changing to a mousy brown was a good thing.

I kind of like O Negative’s “Cinnamon Girl.” It might be the only Neil Young song I like, to be honest…

Really? I didn’t like Neil Young much till I reached my late twenties, but I like most of what I’ve heard.

My Mom always said that the redheads she’s known tended to go gray pretty early on, and I’m still mousy brown. I’m complaining, but not. I’ve been pretty lucky to have avoided going gray, but I honestly think gray hair is pretty. My Dad never went all the way gray, and he passed away at 70.

2. Liz A. says:

My red hair was gone by jr. high. Sigh. I was almost named Paula after my father (my father nixed that), and my father was fond of Ursula (he was going for interesting initials–USA, my mother nixed that).

I like all of your potential names! I guess I have even come to like mine after all these years. But I do find it a bit boring. I do still wish I’d been a Penny!

I kept trying to go blonde in Jr. High, with the help of Sun-In. Instead, I just kept going lighter red, but never even reached the strawberry blonde range. I came to embrace and love my red hair shortly thereafter. I do wonder what makes it morph into other colors on some of us, though, and others get to carry their gorgeous, fiery locks with them till they go gray?

3. Mary B says:

With strong familial roots from Scotland and Ireland, there are plenty of Gingers in my family.. I missed out on that part of the gene, though. I have one brother that when he grew out his beard, he had every shade of red in it. My dad was a redhead. Later in life, I found a nice copper color to ‘fix’ my blonde 🙂 As far as naming, I’ve been told I was about to be named Susan or Michelle before they settled on a strong family name of Mary.

Great song selections for today!

I love family names! I don’t have a family name, so I made sure my sons did. Funny that your brother’s beard has every shade of red in it – so does my son’s! He says that was my “gift” to him, but I’m pretty sure he was being sarcastic.

Glad you enjoyed the songs!

4. Different names were popular in different decades. My parents grew up in the 30’s & 40’s when the names “Bertha” and “Beverly” were both popular. So when I was born in the 50’s, I think my Dad wanted to name me Bertha, but they settled on Beverly. Beverly is an old English name that means “beaver meadow,” or “beaver lee,” with lee meaning meadow. Better then Bertha I think

Definitely better than Bertha! (no offense to the Berthas out there, though). I actually love the name Beverly. I went to school with a girl named Beverly, and she was so pretty. I’ve always associated that name with being beautiful!

5. Kat says:

I feel like most people hate the names their parents almost chose for them, I love that you’re a fan. Penny is too cute! But Kim isn’t half bad either. 😉

Aw, thanks! I spent my childhood wishing I’d had a different name, and then my young adulthood wanting to go by my middle name (especially after moving to a city where I knew literally no one except for my boyfriend). But honestly, I don’t think I’d have ever answered to anything else.