Music Monday and #RMF2019 for 10.14.2019

It’s Sunday, and I didn’t get any of my weekend plans or errands done. Not only was I going to make cinnamon oil so that I could make a homemade Snake-Away spray, but I also needed to get my car serviced and wanted to get it washed/cleaned. I was going to make more homemade dog food, as the dogs are almost out. Not to mention, I needed to do some shopping for the coming week. Instead, all I managed was laundry (at least it was a good bit of laundry, though) and a headache and a nap. I’ve been feeling run-down all week, and my health issues struck again today. But the nap seems to have taken care of the bulk of it, and I’ll just do the other stuff later.

Oh, and I moved some book-related posts over from The ReInViintaged Life, got myself a NetGalley account (you bookish types should check it out!), and watched a few episodes of Insatiable. Is anyone else watching? I absolutely love that show. It’s dark comedy, and so cleverly written!

Obviously, I didn’t get around to making a #RMF2019 post for Sunday, so for today’s Music Monday And Rocktober Music Fest I’m bringing you some new music, again courtesy of one of the Exit 111 Festival bands, Dirty Honey. Their current single, “When I’m Gone”, is getting a lot of local radio airplay right now, and they’re another new band who are obviously influenced by Led Zeppelin – their Wikipedia page even states this. And they are the first unsigned band to hit No. 1 on Billboard’s Mainstream Rock Songs chart. Impressive! They’ll be in Birmingham later this week, and I really need to head down there to check them out.

Dirty Honey – “When I’m Gone”

This week’s theme at Monday’s Music Moves Me is “songs about taking a journey. It can be an actual trip, or a trip into the imagination, or even an emotional journey.” For that, I’ve selected this song because it always stirs my emotions. It’s about an actual journey, but manages to take me on a metaphorical journey as well – I find myself getting really nostalgic for my younger days, when I could just jump in a car and GO…somewhere…anywhere. Just run. Even though I have firmly planted roots both in my current home and my family’s home elsewhere, I’ve always had a Gypsy soul that longed to travel to other places, and a heart that has always had a strong need to start over elsewhere. This line from the lyrics still manages to nearly bring tears to my eyes all these years later:

“All by myself
I can see it like it’s right before my eyes
By myself time goes by
Remember?
It was so long ago
It was a long time ago”

This band had a blink-and-you’ll-miss-it moment in the late 90s-early 00s on alternative and college radio. I still think they’re incredibly talented and am surprised that that was the peak of their commercial career.

Black Lab – “Time Ago”

I guess that’s another week in the books, and another busy one about to start! What are YOU listening to this week? What songs take YOU on a journey – emotional, imaginative, or bring up memories of an actual one?

Featured image courtesy StockSnap on Pixabay

1. Marie Moody says:

Okay then… it’s Sunday… nope it’s Monday very early morning… just not ready for this music… I’ll have to remember to play this one nice & loud later. Good choice! Thanks for the introduction to Black Lab’s tune. Very nice and I like the story they sing… lead singer has a very versatile voice too! Very cool… thanks for a rockin’ good time.

LOL, I usually write my Monday posts on Sunday to be sure I have time to get it linked up. Definitely play it loud later! I am glad you also enjoyed Black Lab.

RE: Black Lab…I know. A real bummer, because their music is obviously timeless..They did have another song called “Wash It Away” that was just as good, and it got a bit of airplay back then as well. But that was literally it as far as hearing their music on the radio. Though I have read in their YouTube comments that they still make music and it’s still good. I will have to check it out.

The more I hear Dirty Honey, the more I like them!

Thanks for the introduction to Dirty Honey. I dig their sound! I’m on vacation this week but as I prepare for tomorrow’s trip to the mountains I thought it would be good to listen to what others are sharing on the dance floor. Good RMF song choice! And, your pick for this week’s 4M theme is by a group that didn’t make my radar or at least I don’t think they did. I certainly do not recognize, ‘Time Ago’. So thanks for perking my ears with the tune. Have a boogietastic week, my dear!

Enjoy your vacation, Cathy!

I’m not surprised you aren’t familiar with Black Lab., as they really didn’t have a very long commercial run. They put out two songs that I know of (the ones I know are on the same album), and although they still make music, that was the last time I ever heard any of their music on the radio.

Ooh, I will be right over to get my spook on. I love spooky music, books, tv, bands, etc, and am planning my Halloween edition Music Monday playlist as we speak. I bet we will even have some crossover!

I am glad you enjoyed my selections this week.

3. Between Dirty Honey (I was familiar with that song) and Greta Van Fleet, we are entering a kinda-Led Zeppelin renaissance here. I was not at all with Time Ago – I must have been blinking, lol. It’s nice. A lot of music takes me on journeys – my imagination can just fly away with the right song.

Same here….I am more of a sound person than a lyrics person due to being pretty hard of hearing, but even just the right sound can take me far, far away.

I know bands like GVF and now probably Dirty Honey get a lot of flack for not being original enough, but honestly? It’s time for this kind of music again. Nothing is truly original anymore, and it’s not like having bands that sound like this take away from Led Zeppelin.

It was pretty lazy if you look at it in terms of what got done vs. what should have, but didn’t get done. But I guess my body needed the rest. This is the first time since Friday night that I haven’t felt completely run down.