Wow, can you believe it’s June ALREADY? Half the year gone, ALREADY? Now, I know you’re probably thinking “This has been a hell of a bad year, it needs to hurry up and be over NOW!” or something of the sort. And I hear you! This year was supposed to be MY year. I’m getting the weight off I’ve so desperately needed to lose, the one-year anniversary of my aunt’s death has come and gone – meaning I’m closer to the finish line of getting out from under the house and the estate, and OMG, this was going to be such a good year for music! I had SO MANY concerts planned.
Instead, we were hit with a pandemic and the world as we knew it came to a screeching halt. (Not so much for me, but that’s a post for another time.) We’re still enduring the pandemic, and now the country is literally on fire as instigators began rioting and looting in what is no doubt an effort to undermine the #BlackLivesMatter peaceful protests of continued unchecked police brutality. I have no intention of discussing anything political here – I feel the way I feel, I support the BLM movement and you aren’t changing my mind, so there is no point in arguing with me – but yep, here we are. Half the year is not only gone, but gone to hell in a hand basket.
I was trying to come back to Mama Kat’s Pretty Much World Famous Writer’s Workshop last week, but my work schedule took a toll on me and I never got around to it. But now I’m back, and I hope to be able to keep this a regular thing. The prompt I chose for this week’s workshop is “Write a list of 6 things you hope to get done this week.”
I love a good to-do list! Though most of the items on this list are going to be more along the lines of starting/making progress than actually getting done.
- Get an MIY blog post published. I’ve made two things recently while in quarantine (should have been more, but…), and I’m trying to make them with a fancy photo with “recipe” on the photo like I’ve seen on Pinterest. But I usually get distracted/called away/etc., and haven’t even remotely gotten the graphics for the posts started. As you can see, I’m heaping quite a bit onto my plate by planning to edit photos AND publish a blog post. But does anyone even see my blog posts? I don’t think anyone visits here other than as part of link-ups. But I should still get the post done; perhaps there’ll be an opportunity to link it up where more can see it one of these days.
- Make more progress moving the dining table to the kitchen and turning the dining room into my new home office/workroom. This is going to take a LOT of effort, and I am in no way going to be able to get all of it done in one week’s time, but I do at least need to get MORE done. And I can’t wait! I have some additional storage coming from my aunt’s house and my grandmother’s house to work on, which will be going into the new home office/workroom.
- Survive the upcoming work week. My department is still closed with us having no idea when it will reopen, so I had been working in different areas of the store since coming back, and showing up and just being sent somewhere different was really starting to get on my nerves. After about two weeks, I finally started getting scheduled to work in one specific area, and that has been such a blessing. This job is WAY more physically demanding than my previous job, so I am basically paid to work out now! However….my schedule has mostly been as follows: work 1-3 days in a row, have one day off, then work another 1-3 days in a row, never having more than one day off at a time. I come home from work physically exhausted, and am getting much better sleep now. However, next week I am due to work 5 days in a row in the first time in forever. I really hope I’ll hold up okay!
- Get my aunt’s estate a little more finalized. TLDR; to make what is still a very, very long thing much shorter, I need to finish up with the estate account I shouldn’t have needed, draw up a promissory note and contract so that they are ready by the time we’re able to get them signed and filed (and then I’ll be out from under the Memphis property, whoo!), and pay the remainder of property taxes and have utilities reconnected. (The property’s utilities were finally disconnected because for months I didn’t have access to the funds in my aunt’s credit union account (though I’m pretty sure I legally should have), which is now the estate account I mentioned earlier.) Please let this mess be done.
Give the blog a little bit of a refresh for summer.Already done. It’s not a huge difference, but I like it!
- Figure out what to do with my old blog. I’m not getting rid of it, but can’t quite figure out what to do with it, either. I think I’ll keep it specifically for Etsy shop updates and vintage upcycling projects. But you probably know I have yet to blog about projects other than announcing that I have projects….so we’ll see how that goes. If nothing else, I’m keeping the url. But I am open to suggestions if you have any.
- Continue to educate myself on how to be a better, more helpful ally to POC. I am currently overwhelmed with resources, and I plan to spend time daily with at least one of them. I know I can do better.
What are some things YOU hope to get done this coming week?
Be sure to head to Kat’s to see what the other participants chose to blog about. And while you’re there, why don’t you join us?