Writer’s Workshop for 06.11.2020

I’m doing a sort-of double dip this week: Throwback Thursday: Choose a photo from a previous June and write! and that kind of ties in with Write a list of 5 things you do for FUN. Except I’m only listing ONE thing I do for fun, as, like I said, it ties in with my Throwback Thursday.

*****I’m a few days late getting this done, because on Wednesday I was exhausted after work and literally slept THE ENTIRE NIGHT after eating something at 5pm. I did wake up at 10:28 thinking I was late for work Thursday and couldn’t figure out why it was so dark outside, but the fog quickly cleared and I realized I’d just passed out and promptly proceeded to pass out again. When I woke up for work Thursday morning, I couldn’t breathe. For the first time in a month or more, I was having so much trouble breathing that I called out. My job keeps me moving and my heart rate slightly elevated, and I can’t do that if I’m not able to breathe. It took multiple doses of my asthma meds to get it straightened out, but it finally did. As it turns out, the farmers are stirring up quite a bit of dust in the fields around my home as they’ve begun planting. Hopefully this won’t last too long; I’m afraid to get sick with anything.*****

These are photos from June 2017, when I traveled to Atlanta for the Thirty Seconds To Mars/Muse show with my bestie and her husband:

(Seen here in front of Thirty Seconds To Mars’ triad)

I didn’t actually blog about this (or apparently anything in Junes of previous years), so I had to head to Facebook and Instagram for this.

I was sick as a dog with a raging sinus infection in these photos, and I didn’t even care that I was so sick. It was blessedly a little cool and overcast. It was my first time seeing Muse and Pvris, and about my third time seeing Thirty Seconds To Mars. This show was a week shy of my friends’ one year wedding anniversary – they were married at a Cure concert, at which I was also in attendance. How cool was it that The Cure was their wedding band?

Live music has always meant so much to me, and I’ve been obsessed with concerts since I learned what they were. While I adore traveling and do lots of things for fun, concerts have been my biggest investment of time and money. I consider both my time and money very well spent. I’ve made lifelong friends at shows, gotten to hang out backstage and meet a few bands, have some pretty amazing memories that my 15 year old self would absolutely lose her mind over!

Here’s some more photos from that concert, including some super-grainy ones of Jared and Shannon Leto. We were pretty far off, and I took those. I’m not sure how my friend managed to get such a good one of Muse’s Matt Bellamy with the same phone, but she did. I can’t even hate on my grainy concert photos, though. I pretty much vibrate with excitement during shows, and so they’re accurately representative of my concert experience.

I’m glad I got to have so many wonderful experiences centered around live music. I’m glad I got to have this particular fun, normal experience, as this was a pretty chaotic year for me. This was the year I spent traveling four hours one way to Mississippi every weekend to visit my Dad before he passed away in August.

A lot has happened since then. A LOT. Of all the ways the pandemic has disrupted my life (not that many, actually), the cancellations and rescheduling of all these concerts I was set to attend has hit me hard. I am soooooo looking forward to the day when I can get back to seeing live music! (see what I did there? I slipped a third prompt in – Write about something you are looking forward to.)

What are YOU looking forward to? What do YOU do for fun? Be sure to head over to Kat’s to participate in the Writer’s Workshop, and/or visit the other participants.

Featured photo courtesy Laura

I’ve been to stadiums, clubs, outdoor venues, festivals…..there are things I like and dislike about all of them. I prefer the smaller clubs myself, but if it’s outdoors I prefer festivals, since you can see a variety of music and other arts and such for a (debatably) reasonable price.

1. Abby says:

I haven’t been to a concert in a long time (kids’ college tuition :P…), so I live vicariously through others and also look forward to going again, pandemic or no. Looks like a great time, and I love the concept of a concert wedding!
    Hope your asthma’s improved.

The asthma is much improved, thank you! I understand how it is with the money – kids and their education definitely come first. Luckily that was one thing I didn’t have on my plate this year. I always have such a great time at concerts; I hope you’re able to head out to a few once the world is safe from Covid!

2. Liz A. says:

Hopefully your concerts just got postponed. This will all be over eventually, and you’ll get to see your bands again. You might even enjoy the shows more just because you’ll remember how they got taken away.

A lot have been postponed; it’s looking like most are going to happen in 2021, which is also cool. I mean, hopefully we won’t have all succumbed to Covid, Murder Hornets, and whatever else is coming by then! I’m just glad that I didn’t already have tickets for many of them yet.

3. Kat says:

I have a sister who is a concert junkie like you! Managing the crowds and the costs stresses me out so I will only go to a select few concerts. I did have tickets to take my girls to see Billie Eilish before the Pandemic hit and that one has been postponed. I noticed if an artist “postpones” a concert you cannot get a refund so my $500 is just sitting in limbo with Ticketmaster. I’m not sure I’ll even want to go if its rescheduled because now in addition to the crowds I also have that stupid virus to worry about. It will be interesting to see how concerts are done once they’re given the go ahead to come back!

Ouch! That’s a lot of money to have tied up with Ticketmaster, and I hate that they’re not issuing refunds. I get that it’s only because the show is postponed and not canceled, but not everyone will be able to attend the show at a later date. Hopefully it’ll be rescheduled AFTER the Covid threat is over, or at least manageable. I don’t have any sage advice for dealing with the crowds, though. I don’t do moshpits, ever (never have), but have spent many shows squished up against the guardrail. It was all fun and games while it lasted. These days, I actually prefer lawn seating. It’s cheapest, and you aren’t touching other people. It’s also crap for being able to see the show, but I’ve done okay with watching over JumboTron screens.

Does your concert junkie sister blog anywhere? I bet we would get along and I’d love to follow her if she does!

4. Patty says:

The last concert I attended was way out in Camden, New Jersey; a hellishly long ride from where I live but…well worth the trip because it was Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers. An open venue with seating close to the stage, front-row-seats, amazing and worth every penny.

And a great memory of just one, of many, Tom Petty concerts I was lucky to have attended. He’s gone, this virus won’t easily disappear and our world is unraveling.

All I’m looking forward to is for some element of “normal” to return, for everyone.

That sounds amazing! I love Tom Petty, and wish I’d been able to see him. I just never got the opportunity. I’m glad you were able to have those experiences because, like you said, he’s gone now.