Writer’s Workshop for 10.31.2019

Happy Halloween, folks! With warm-ish temps, overcast skies, and rainy, windy weather, the end of October has not let me down. My nerves have needed calming for a while now, so I am very thankful to have some of “my” weather. The above photo was taken today in the parking lot at work – wet pavement, an oil slick, and fallen leaves.

The prompt I chose for this week’s Mama Kat’s Pretty Much World Famous Writer’s Workshop is “Write about something you’re looking forward to.” I wanted to write about all of the prompts, honestly, and I could probably have contained each one to a paragraph, but…nah…I’ll come back to those topics another time, maybe. I chose this one because there is something I’m really, really looking forward to in particular.

Wednesdays are usually my double shift at work, and I thought I’d be working open to close tonight. But the schedule got changed and I didn’t notice, so I ended up with the nice surprise of being able to come home unexpectedly at 3. My double is now tomorrow, so the torture of contacting more people about my aunt’s estate that I was putting off until tomorrow had to be done today. I’m four hours away in another state, so the errands were all phone errands, but still, I hate it. I don’t hear well, so I have a hard time understanding people. And today I had to talk to people about her quarterly homeowner’s insurance, and her property taxes. After about 30 minutes on the phone altogether, which seemed like much, much longer, I now have resolution to those issues. Thank goodness.

I don’t think I can express how much I am looking forward to having all this estate business done. As far as I can tell, I have mostly everything done that needs to be done. I don’t expect much will be left of her estate funds by the time all these expenses are paid up and sorted, but at this point I don’t care. I just need it done. And barring hearing back from her life insurance company (where either I will be determined the beneficiary of the policy or the Estate – also me, as the only surviving legal relative of hers) and getting the house in my name so I can sell it, I think we are in the home stretch.

Oh, who am I kidding? We still have a house full of stuff to have the Salvation Army come pick up, and we were going to try to have a yard sale, but with my sister’s schedule and mine, I’m not sure we can actually pull that off. (She and I both work retail, and our busiest season is now upon us, so getting together on a weekend is going to be tricky). Still, if you could see where we started and how massively much has been done…I guess we really are close to being done.

But I have a buyer lined up for the house, with whom I am extremely happy, and that is a huge relief. I am also looking forward to what will hopefully be a restful, peaceful winter.

What are YOU looking forward to?

1. Wow . that is a big responsibility and work to sell your aunt’s estate. No wonder you are stressed. Great that you have a buyer and the end is getting near. Thanks for visiting my blog. Have a great week.

Thank you for stopping by! It has been a huge responsibility and a nightmare at times, but hasn’t been ALL bad. I’m lucky I’ve had some pretty amazing people in my corner to help out, because I could NOT have done anything without their help.

2. Liz A. says:

It may feel like so much to do, but it sounds like you’ve accomplished a lot already. Congrats. It’s always a mess and it always takes time. Good luck.

And good luck with Season. I don’t miss working retail one bit.

Thank you for the luck! We are already getting busier, which I am excited about, because I can probably pick up more hours. The time goes by quickly, but it’s always strange to just have all the non-stop action come to a screeching halt about mid-January.

Retail isn’t what I planned to do or saw myself doing for a career, but….it’s been what I’ve done for twenty years now. It has it’s moments, that’s for sure. And the people-watching experience is priceless….but I figure you must already know that!

3. That’s fantastic someone already wants the house! A good to know things are progressing along fairly fast. I pray you do have a very restful winter. I have a conference in Orlando next week in a nice hotel plus a little Disney World time with no computer and I’m thinking of trying to use some of the time for rest as well as fun.

Thanks; it really is! I actually know the buyer, and there are some terms to work out. But I am really happy with who will be buying the place, and I know they’ll do an amazing renovation on it.

I hope you are able to get some fun and rest, as well. Where better for that than the Happiest Place on Earth?

4. May says:

What a huge responsibilty and amount of work! I hope it goes smoothy. Any chance you could hire people to manage an estate sale rather than taking that on yourself?

It has been quite the experience, that’s for sure. I am hoping the rest of it goes smoothly from here on out. I really do need this winter to be just about work and recuperation (from this stressful year) and drawing my remaining family close as much as possible.

My aunt’s estate didn’t leave much actual cash to look into Estate Sale companies and such. My Mom said that they will just take a percentage of whatever they sell, but due to the location of the home, we don’t want people in it looking around. Also, according to my Aunt’s wishes, she wanted to donate to a few local charities, and we figured the best way to do that would be to donate her furniture/etc, or really whatever we can’t sell at a yard sale – if we get to have one. I have help, but at the end of the day, I am still the one responsible for it all.

5. Patty says:

I certainly hope all goes well with the closing of your aunt’s estate. Brings back memories of when I, as an only child, had to deal with my mother’s home once her Alzheimer’s took control. To say it’s consuming…is an understatement…when you are solely responsible.

Will keep positive thoughts for you, Kim!