Writer’s Workshop for 12.05.2019

Here it is not even a week post NaBloPoMo and it seems I’ve already reverted back to my old habit of only posting to two blog linkups per week. My pitiful posting this week is mainly due to the work schedule getting wonky, which put my mind in a state of disarray, not unlike the house – but I digress. I haven’t been procrastinating on posting, I just really don’t have much to post about at the moment, although I am crafting some posts as we speak that I hope (and need!) to have finished before the end of the year. We’ll see how that goes!

The theme I chose for this week’s Mama Kat’s Pretty Much World Famous Writer’s Workshop is “Tell us about something you’re procrastinating on.”

Well, I already mentioned that I’m not procrastinating on blogging, only taking my time. I recently finished a book that took me a while to read, and I’m not even procrastinating on my review of it, though it, like blog posts, are being written and coming along very slowly.

I am procrastinating on a LOT of estate-related stuff with my Aunt’s estate, though. I still have places to call about partial refunds, still have to take ANOTHER day off to go to Memphis to another bank, and to the Register of Deeds office. There is probably more; I can’t really tell because I am overwhelmed. Not overwhelmed like earlier this year before I could even get the whole process started (the months leading up to when I could start sorting her estate out very nearly led me to a nervous breakdown. I’m not even joking.), but overwhelmed by that and work and the house and the dogs and all the other stuff that I’m trying to do to quiet the noise in my head.

I don’t know why I’m procrastinating when getting these things rolling – or, in the case of some of them, get them further along/finished – will actually be another huge weight off my shoulders. There’s just a lot going on, so everything is difficult to make time for, and now most of it will have to be put off until after the holidays. I have continued to work toward getting her legal affairs and estate settled from the moment I became legally able to do so. But I should have been doing more. However, the time for doing more has passed, and it is biting me in the ass now.

Since it’s SO busy, and I have my own household to run, I think what I need is a good game plan, and it is as follows:

• Make at least ONE phone call per day until all necessary phone calls are completed.
  • Send at least ONE batch of completed paperwork to the appropriate places until all places needing paperwork to move forward have what they need.
  • File at least ONE claim/complete ONE form until they are all completed.
  • When armed with necessary information, start the process over again until it is done.

I’ve done this at least a dozen times since becoming her Estate Administrator, but I’ve slacked off, and now I’m further behind than I had hoped I would be at this time in the process.

What are YOU procrastinating on? How do you motivate yourself out of procrastination?

Being an executor is not the easy job that people who have never done it think it is. There are a thousand balls in the air that you’re trying to juggle, and believe me, you will go stark raving mad if you get too focused on it. One day a week was plenty for me (and there was nothing simple about Mom’s estate), and you’d be amazed at how much you can accomplish in that time. Mom’s lawyer (who was also a tax attorney) was invaluable, and I hired a friend of the family whose business was to coordinate the medical bills with Medicare and Blue Cross and tell me exactly who to pay and how much. It was worth every cent I paid them.

Oh wow, I imagine it was! My Aunt died without a will, and I am her last living relative, or at least the last one with any claim to the estate. But my sister (actually my former stepsister) and my Aunt’s caretakers have been a huge help to me. It’s not just the legal affairs, but we have had to go through more paperwork and “stuff” in general than I have ever seen in my life. We’ve been slowly getting there – we are almost there, in fact – but the closer we get to being done, the more impatient and anxious I become. I believe you when you say I’ll go stark raving mad if I focus too much on it!

2. Liz A. says:

Should have been doing more? Nope. Stop shoulding all over yourself. You’re getting done what you can in the time that it’s going to take you. Sure, in hindsight you can see how much you might have done had you not been overwhelmed with all of it taking up your mental space, but hindsight is 20/20. Do what you can. It’ll take as long as it takes. And when you’re done, you could write a book about how to do it better 😉

Oh, gosh, yes! Thanks for the pep talk. You are so right – I’ve absolutely been doing what I could when I could. I think my game plan going forward is doable, though I can always scale back to one task a week instead of every day if it gets overwhelming.

I can definitely write a book about how to do this better, LOL!

3. Kat says:

Wow, that is a huge job in and of itself! I wouldn’t know where to begin. I hope you are being compensated for your time and breakdowns. It looks like John had some helpful advice to add, I’ve got cocktails over here if you need one or several! 😉

Girl, some days I need the whole damn bar! But I’ve thus far refrained from drinking. I have been compensated in the form of having gotten a lot of family heirlooms, vintage clothes and housewares. If anything is left of the estate funds by the time I am able to disburse anything (one year from date of death in her state), I will be giving some to my sister (former stepsister) who has been a HUGE help through all of this and deserves it!

John and Liz both had some sage advice and encouraging words. I just feel entirely ill equipped to be doing this, but I guess that’s probably not too uncommon.